Friday, August 22, 2014

Complete: Two Plantains

I know, I'm pretty late to the party on this one! I feel like just about everyone in the online sewing world has made and blogged Deer and Doe's Plantain Tshirt. Confession: whenever I hear the phrase "must-have", the can't-make-me gene I inherited from my mother's side quietly kicks in. But I've seen some lovely versions of this, on very different women, and so this pattern has been growing on me for a while. Plus it's free...

For those who haven't come across it, it's a basic scoop neck tee with the option of either 3/4 or full length sleeve (with elbow patches too, if that's your thing). It's an A-line shape, as you can see below, and that's partly what made me hesitate when I first saw it. Most of my life I've been fairly straight up and down, (a Column, minus the height, if you're into Trinny and Susannah) and so felt that defined waists were most flattering on me. Any tops or dresses that flowed from the shoulders or bust made me look about twelve - and an underdeveloped twelve, at that. But the last year or two have seen things, er, redistribute a little, so I thought I'd give it a go!

I'm glad I did! I really like the way this sits on me - below is the would-be-muslin-but-now-promoted-to-fully-fledged-wardrobe-member. It's a fairly stretchy but very stable knit without much drape that I picked up on sale at Spotlight about eighteen months ago (bought against the day I'd get over Knit Intimidation). This was sewn together almost entirely on the overlocker, which is what I'll be doing with ALL knit tops from now on. I just had to be careful I pinned it well so that the stripes matched neatly (which they do!) - and of course ensure that I didn't run over any pins (doooooom!)



The sleeves and hem were done with my twin needle, which I also used to top stitch around the neckline seam. 


I love how relaxed the fit is, without being sloppy. The pattern is drafted really well; the neckline especially went in bee-yew-tifully.



 I actually made this back in May, and it very quickly became a staple. I think I got lucky with this pattern - which is not to take anything away from the design/drafting. I just mean the neckline is exactly the right depth, the ease is just as I'd like it, and the shoulders are in precisely the right spot to stay put and not pull. And I just sewed up the pattern as is! It's actually the best fitting knit top I've ever worn - including RTW. So much for Knit Intimidation! If only every sewing challenge was as easily to overcome...

The neckline isn't flawless - I tried to keep it completely on the white stripe, but there's a tiny bit of navy in there that I didn't notice had slipped in until after I'd sewn it. I can live with that more easily than taking it apart and trying to fix it though...


Like I said, this became a staple favourite right away. But I was curious as to how the pattern would behave with a really drapey knit. I found some at our local gem of a fabric store not long afterwards, and as I was admiring it, and wondering how it would look, I noticed the sales assistant was actually wearing a top in the same fabric! Sold me :)


This muted green in one of my favourite colours to wear - and it's really hard to find in fabric or RTW. I decided to go with the long sleeves for this version, and since it was so drapey, tried adding 12cm to the length to make it more of a tunic style. I really like wearing it with my ponte leggings...



The colour's really intriguing when you look at it. I tried a close up to show - it's woven (knitted?) in teal and magenta threads. I love seeing the way colours mix together.


So there you have it - you can add my name to the long list of Plantain Lovers! I'm thinking merino wool for next time...

On another very happy note - all the school production costume sewing is done. (Satisfying, but I don't remember ever feeling so tired before!) The show's in two weeks, so the proper countdown is on :)

I did take one day off from costume sewing a few weeks ago, and had a blissful time fabric shopping in Melbourne with a friend. I'm trying to buy fabric for the next season or so of sewing in one big go, rather than bits here and there. I'm finding this a) helps me buy for items that will end up coordinating with each other, and b) means I'm actually spending less overall, since it's more considered, planned and non-impulse. Mind you, a few other purchases slip in occasionally, but even they tend now to be really satisfying finds rather than spur of the moment and swiftly regretted buys.

On the way back, we were talking about clothes we loved when we were little. It occurred to me how unrestricted we were as kids when it came to what we liked and didn't like in terms of clothing, and how typically our opinions gradually become increasingly defined and controlled by society/the fashion industry/ RTW. Here's what I'm trying to work out - is this just a result of getting older, or is this connected to the general loss of personal dressmaking skills nowadays?? Sure, there were definite "looks" in the 60s and 70s, but I think choices within those looks were more varied when you knew you could make it (or have it made) in any colour or fabric or print you liked. Non-sewing people today are completely controlled by what's on offer this season, whether it suits them or not... and I know how I would let myself be dictated to in that sense before I started really sewing for myself.

Does that make sense? I'm just musing over it. What do you think? Do you think being able to sew your own clothes enables a more definite sense of personal style? Do share!



13 comments:

  1. These look fantastic. Without a doubt I will be putting them on my 'to sew' list!! I definitely think sewing your own clothes throws open the doors to dressing however you like, including unconventionally. (Infact I sometimes think I look less and less like a 'normal' person since I started making most of my own clothes!). One of the things I enjoy most about reading blogs is seeing how different everyone's personal style is, and on a side note doing the Colette Wardrobe Architect project has revealed to me that my tastes haven't refined much since childhood really! Deep down I just want to wear stuff I can fling on and run about in, still :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a wonderful way to put it! It makes clothes sound like friends you want to hang out with...

      Delete
  2. These are great, I especially love your stripy one. I'm planning to try this & the Grainline hemlock tee for some winter tees this year. Hopefully I'll find the fit as good as you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hemlock is another one I've been wavering over, actually!

      Delete
  3. So many things to love about this post! I was like you - 'meh, another knit top' but was also pleasantly surprised at the flattering fit! Of course I adore the stripes, and the green fabric is amazing. Also like the new photo position - love a good brick wall! And finally, absolutely sewists have so much more control over their own style - or at least I do, but I definitely had a 'teething' period where I just wanted to make pretty things in crazy prints and now I want stylish, unique, 'me' things! I still get swayed by fashion but it seems to be more like what is in fashion in the sewing world rather than what I see in shops or mags but I guess ultimately the sewing world is of course influenced by the fashion world so it eventually trickles through to me! Finally I really hope you can get into town to see the wedding dress exhibition at Rippon Lea - you'd love it, so many dresses from literary adaptations as well as real wedding dresses. Hope you're going to share some of your sound of music costumes too! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to - it's just getting them photographed in amidst all the chaos! I'm SO hoping to get to Rippon Lea; your post made it sound sublime...

      Delete
  4. These are lovely both of them. I love the look of the tunic length- really flattering. I've noticed that my me-mades are much less cohesive than my RTW wardrobe, as a lot of the fabric is stuff I'm using up from my Nan's stash while I'm still learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes sense - it's wonderful to have fabric on hand to practise on :)

      Delete
  5. Gah! Bloglovin has hidden your posts from me again - I'm glad I checked as I haven't made the Plantain yet (it's printed & cut out!) and I love your 2 versions - that green/teal fabric is delish!
    I'm slow at adopting fashion trends - I wander into stores or read fashion mags & go 'ohhh, are culottes/boxy tops/bomber jackets/high low hems in? I've been seeing patterns for them' (derrr) ;)
    I do have a good mix of vintage & me-made that get worn each day, fashion just keeps coming back around and my tastes do seem to be stable in that I've always had a mix of vintage & current in the same outfit. (that love for the 70's, I think it's hardwired... I'm so excited that culottes are back...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It's always nice when fashion and personal taste meet up! I've just this year started to realise how much I'm drawn to the 70s too...

      Delete
  6. You are not the only one late to the Plantain game... I have yet to make it myself. I too wasn't drawn to it but may have to give it a go. Yours look great !! I love the creative freedom that sewing for myself gives me. My wardrobe may not be very cohesive but life is short.....so lets have fun with it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! And besides, if you wear dresses most of the time anyway your wardrobe doesn't have to be cohesive ;)

      Delete
  7. Your Plantains are lovely! The teal drapey tunic looks like the perfect cute and comfy tee. Your versions have convinced me that I need to try out this pattern. :-)

    I definitely think sewing has expanded my style options, and at times, I think it's given me a sort of identity crisis. SO MANY CHOICES!! But, now that I've been at it for a bit and explored lots of options and styles, I think I have a better idea of what I will wear on a regular basis and what flatters my body type. I'm happy not to be restricted by what's available in RTW. Such a thought-provoking topic!

    ReplyDelete