Saturday, August 22, 2015

Complete: A Jacket & Leftover Skirt

I'm back this week with an attempt to triumph over vanity. Well, to at least let pride triumph over vanity...which doesn't sound all that laudable at all, really. I'll explain - this is one of my favourite ever things to wear that I've made, coupled with some of my least liked photos (own fault: felt wretched, should've stayed home, soldiered on and can see it in every shot. Never mind, we can't all be models!)
 

This jacket is a pattern released by Spotlight here in Australia, oh, maybe seven years ago, as part of their then Get Creative range. I bought it at the time in case I ever tried making clothes for myself sometime in the future (!), and promptly forgot about it. The fabric, a wine -not purple - coloured pinwale corduroy I bought two years ago in case I ever tried making a casual blazer, and promptly forgot about it.
 
The pattern calls itself a military-style jacket. I didn't make any structural modifications; the only changes I made were to not do the three rows of topstitching at each seam (not avoidance, I just thought it would be lost and wasted on corduroy), and to lose the front tie fastenings (which looked fussy and annoying).
 

The above photo is from May, which I've included because I actually look happy in this shot. Plus, this outfit (jacket, Kanerva blouse and Burda pants) is one of my all-time favourites, self-made or otherwise, which I think is worth acknowledging!

In far less happy shots...


 As mentioned above, this jacket had tie fastenings, so doesn't do up at the front. I was dubious at first (wouldn't it just look too small?) but I actually really like how it sits. The shaping in it gives a nice line, and it doesn't feel at all restrictive like a done-up blazer sometimes can.

 Instead of the ties, I experimented with these patches for (non-functioning) buttonholes and buttons.


I sewed them on a very slight diagonal, with the cord's direction contrasting with the fabric underneath. The vintage buttons were a surprise gift from Sarah along with one of her giveaways; I'd been saving them up waiting for the perfect project.

 
I mentioned a few posts ago that I've been trying to find uses for my ever-growing pile of scraps and leftovers. Well, this gets a double tick! There was no lining drafted for the pattern itself, just wide facings at front, back yoke and hem. I'd overlocked the other seams, which were also top-stitched (just once though), and they looked fine. But I thought I'd to try something a bit special on the facings' edges, and so bound them with some of the leftover silk from my Vogue 1152 dress. Confession: it's not cut strictly on the bias, since there wasn't enough fabric, but since all the edges were straight or diagonal I didn't think it would matter too much. I love the effect! 
 
 
The other tick is given for, wait for it: getting a whole other garment out of the leftovers! True, the hem isn't as generous as it should be and the back piece is seamed rather than cut on the fold, but I'm not arguing! This is View B of Burda 7147, an A-line mini wrap skirt:
 

...and I definitely should have ironed the wrinkles out pre-photography... This is a really quick project, that can be squeezed out of just under a metre of fabric.


The fronts fold back over themselves to form facings, and snaps are sewn on to secure it.


 Some dark early morning photos there, sorry. I like an A-line silhouette, although this is a much shorter version than I'm used to. I probably wouldn't wear it without tights.


One change I did make that was choice and not necessity was to add a lining; since I planned to wear this with tights I thought that it might help stop it riding up or "sticking". And it works. I wish I could think of a way to stop it sticking to itself at the front wrap...

So, one lot of project leftovers has been used up. Now I just have to find ways to use up the rest of the drawer!

6 comments:

  1. These both look great, and for what it's worth, I think your photos look absolutely fine too! I love the colour of the fabric. It's beautifully rich. Well done past you for thinking ahead so well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful jacket! Such pretty binding too! Your skirt looks like one that will go with everything. These two pieces look great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why you love this jacket! What a lovely shape on you. And an excellent finish as usual! I love that you used lots of scraps up, too. I'm on a mission to use up my scraps at the moment! Maybe I'll make loads of pretty bias binding. Also, I know you may be able to feel your unhappiness in the photos, but we can't! They look great and you do too. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love both pieces, but the jacket in particular. I'm guessing the patch backings took quite some time and care to get perfect! I can see this colour and design going over quite a lot of things you've made and blogged recently. It's funny how you can get a feel for someone else's wardrobe when you live so far away through their blog! Regarding the photos, I think you probably look back and remember how you felt at the time - I have a couple of photos like that which I might actually get rid of - but we don't see that looking on. You look lovely in them all and I hope you're having a better day today!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh it's great - fits you perfectly. And how super that those buttons matched so well! It really is such a great feeling to not have any left overs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These both look great, the fabric is gorgeous too! That must have felt pretty good to get a skirt out of the left-overs, well done!

    ReplyDelete